KIO celebrated 51st anniversary of “Kachin Independence Organization Day” at Laiza headquarter on Oct 25, 2011 at 10:00 am. The celebrations were held at 4 places in Laiza. Kachins around the world also commemorated KIO’s 51st anniversary.
KIO’s chairman Lanyaw Zawng Hra delivered a message to KIO personnel and Kachin public in Kachinland and around the world. Chairman Lanyaw Zawng Hra said it is vital for Kachin people to have fundamental political and civil rights and KIO party members are responsible to achieve those fundamental rights and will have to continue to fight for them.
KIO was based on 5 basic principles as its foundation:
- KIO is a political organization comprises of Kachin nationals and citizens
- KIO is a leading political voice for the people of Kachinland
- KIO represents the people of Kachinland
- KIO strives to protect and further the public welfare for the people of Kachinland
- KIO is a revolutionary movement
Chairman Zawng Hra exhorted all party members to work unceasingly to achieve the goals mentioned above. He also mentioned that KIO led the current revolution against injustice and oppression in Kachinland. While KIA is engaging in an arm conflict against Burmese government, it is vital for KIO to continue to work for genuine political settlements, said Zawng Hra.